Monday, August 20, 2012

The Big Weekend

This weekend was as special for the Harriers as Super Saturday for the Brits. 

It started with Blaine Penny defending his Canadian 50 mile title for the third year in a row.  An amazing performance.  This is what he had to say about it:

One of the toughest races of my life at Iron Legs 50 miler yesterday. It was 30 degrees, I had 2 bouts of diarrhea, stomach shut down at 40 km, puked at 50 km and unable to eat for the last 30 km, took a wrong turn at 60 km (added 3 extra k...
ms), got back on course only to go backwards :( and my worst bonk ever in the last 5 km.

I have to say I somehow found strength I never knew I had (thanks to Evan once again) and managed to keep running to cross the finish line. I defended my Iron Legs title for the 3rd year in a row (just barely) and am officially the 2012 50 MIle Canadian Ultra Marathon Champion. I think I am retiring from racing ultras after this one!

Many thanks to
Jamie Nott and his army of volunteers for a great race and looking after us in the heat. Special thanks to Tim Watson for hooking me up with an IV to pour some life back into me!

Also, huge contrats to
Phil Villeneuve and Simon Donato for setting a new course record in the relay.
See More

He'd swap it all for a win in the BVH 5k though.

Then on Sunday we had the Edmonton marathon.  Darcy went for a Sunday morning stroll and came home in 6th with a 2:45 posting.  Incredible.  Scott "I'll never do a marathon" Jensen (aka The Oracle) posted a 2:51 on virtually no long runs.  Great running guys.

Not to be upstaged, Frank (71.56), Jeremy (72.18) and Jody (74.38) put in a great showing in the half. I've promised not to mention that they all got "chicked" twice.   I reckon we must have won the team prize there.

A good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment