Tuesday, May 3, 2011

MitoCanada Run

By Duncan Marsden

Last Sunday was the first running of the MitoCanada 5k/10k run in Canmore and I am certain that everyone who turned up would have considered it a fantastic success!  The Rec Centre in Canmore was full of people wearing MitoCanada buffs and showing off the rest of the fantastic swag given away as part of the entry fee. 

The course was an out and back along the river.  The weather was fantastic and apart from the last 1.5k which was snowy, it was all bone dry!  Perfect.

There were not as many harriers present as there have been in other races recently but we had Blaine (President of MitoCanada) and Jeremy running with their kids in 5K race and Mark Fewster manning the water station with his family.  That left Sarah Penny and me running for the glory.  And I think we covered ourselves in it.  Sarah took 8 minutes off her best 10k time ever and came 3rd in her age group - I don't know if she was more pleased with the time or with the cookie she won as a result.  I was helped by a few lost souls going off course, as well as cheers from Blaine and Jeremy in the last mile, to take the victory in the 10k in a time of 35.01. 

As an aside, Calgarians beware!  As I passed Blaine and Jeremy in the last mile, I was running full-out.  Jeremy told his 8 year old son Matthew to try and chase me and chase me he did.  At one stage I was worried he was going to overtake me!  You've been warned, Calgary, the next generation of Deeres are on their way!



Don't forget the 5k tomorrow.  Start at 7pm at the Olympic arches in Eau Claire.

No comments:

Post a Comment